On July 07th, 2021, the Institute for Circular Economy Development (ICED) (Vietnam National University – Ho Chi Minh city) and Dr. Eric Wolanski had an online meeting (via Microsoft Teams) to discuss potential research collaborations in the future.
Meeting attendants from the ICED were Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyen Hong QUAN (Director), Dr. Le Quang Dung, Mr. Bui Le Thanh Khiet.
Prof. Eric Wolanski and his friend, Assoc. Prof. Dr. Nguyen Huu Nhan
Assoc. Prof. Quan started the meeting by his brief introduction about his background and current research interests before talking about the ICED, the institute’s research orientations and visions. Currently the institute focuses on the major researches on application of circular economy areas, which are Urban-Industry, Coast and Island, Bioeconomy, Renewable energy and Waste/Plastics. Dr. Quan expressed his impression with Prof. Wolanski’s scientific contributions to the Globe in including Vietnam, particularly works have been published in Mekong River delta and Spratly Islands archipelago. He would like to seek the collaboration with Prof. Wolanski on the fields. Prof. Wolanski shared his works on physics of the fine sediment transport in the coastal areas and the linkages between oceanic physic and biological compartment. Prof. Wolanski and ICED also discussed on plastic pollution in ocean (e.g. Development of the SLIM model to understand the fate of plastic in Bohai Sea, China). Prof. Wolanski was glad to have a meeting with ICED and willing to assist and consult ICED’s researches related to marine/ocean sciences
About Prof. Dr. Eric Wolanski
Prof. Dr. Eric Wolanski is a coastal oceanographer and ecohydrologist. He is linking physics and biology in estuarine, coastal, reef and savannah ecosystems. He has 416 publications, including five recent books:
- Paris, C. B., Wolanski, E., eds. (2020). The Importance of Behavior in the Recruitment of Marine Fauna and Flora. Lausanne: Frontiers Media SA. doi: 10.3389/978-2-88963-501-6
- Wolanski, E., Day, J., Elliott, M., Ramesh, Ramachandran (2019). Coasts and Estuaries. The Future. Elsevier, Amsterdam. 701 pp.
- Perillo, G.M.E., Wolanski, E., Cahoon, D.R., Hopkinson, C.S. (2019). Coastal Wetlands. An Integrated Ecosystem Approach. Springer 2nd ed., Dordrecht, 1097 pp.
- Wolanski & M. Elliott (2015). Estuarine Ecohydrology – An Introduction. Elsevier, Amsterdam, 310 pp.
- Wolanski (2014). Estuaries of Australia in 2050 and Beyond. Springer, Dordrecht, 292 pp. (Elsevier), and Materials Science for Energy Technologies (Elsevier).
Eric is a member of the Scientific and Policy Committee of Japan’s EMECS (Environmental Management of Enclosed Seas, focusing on the Seto Inland Sea) and of the European Union DANUBIUS-PP Scientific and Technical Advisory Board (STAB; see www.danubius-ri.eu; http://danubius-pp.eu), which will be a pan-European distributed research infrastructure dedicated to interdisciplinary studies of large river–sea systems throughout Europe.
More information of Prof. Eric Wolanski, FTSE, DSc Hon. Causa (Louvain & Hull) is available on https://research.jcu.edu.au/portfolio/eric.wolanski/